A to Z of Minerals
A 3-Week lecture course designed to acquaint students and the curious about the glorious and beautiful world of minerals
1. Introduction to the world of minerals, Definition and scope. Minerals vs. rocks.
2. Fundamentals of X-ray diffraction: principle, practice and applications
3. Introduction to crystallography, elements of symmetry, Bavarias lattice
4. Introduction to mineral chemistry, Mineral Groups, Danas classification of minerals, Mohos scale of hardness
5. Descriptive Mineralogy: Properties used to identify minerals in field, hand specimens and under the microscope
6. Paragenesis of minerals: How they form? Their mineralogy: Properties used to identify minerals
7. ABC minerals: (Albite, Apophylite, Biotite, Beryl, Calcite, Cavenzite, Corundum)
8. DEF minerals: (Diamond, Diopside, Enstatite, Fluorite, Graphite, Gypsum, Halite, Haematite)
9. GHI minerals: (Graphite, Galena, Gypsum, Gold, Halite, Hematite, Ilmenite)
10. JKL minerals: (Jarosite, Kyanite, Kaolinite, Leucite, Leucite, Lizardite)
11. MNO minerals: (Monazite, Majorite, Natrolite, Nitre, Omphacite, Orphiment)
12. PQ minerals: (Parisite, Pyrolusite, Pervoskite, Pyrope, Quartz rosy, smoky, etc)
13. QR minerals: (Quartz- Crystobalite-Tridymite, Agate, jasper, opal, Rutile, Rhodocrosite)
14. STU minerals: (Sulphur, Sapphire, Topaz, Talc, Tourmaline, Uraninite, Ulvospinel)
15. WXYZ minerals: (Wulframite, Wollastonite, Wustite, Xenotime, Yuwagarite, Zircon, Zoisite)
About the Speaker:
Dr. Raymond A. Duraiswami completed his graduation from Nowrosjee Wadia College, Pune in 1992 and post-graduation and Ph.D. from the Department of Geology, University of Pune in 1994 and 2008 respectively. His Doctoral work was on the mantle xenoliths in alkaline plugs from Kachchh, Gujarat. He worked as Project Assistant before joining Groundwater Surveys and Development Agency, GoM as Junior Geologist (2000-2009).
He presently works as Assistant Professor at the Department of Geology, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune. He has co-edited 5 books and has published 73 papers in national and international journals. Of late, he is concerned about geo-environmental issues, climate change and disasters. In India, he has worked in diverse terrains such as the Higher Himalayas of Ladakh and Karakoram, Sikkim, Andaman Islands, Thar desert and salt flats of Kutch. He has also visited countries like Malawi, Iran, Norway, Sweden, Georgia, France, Germany and Netherlands in connections with geological mapping and academic discourse.
He is a Fellow and Life Member of Professional organizations like Geological Society of India, Bangalore; Indian Science Congress Association, Calcutta; Gondwana Geological Society, Nagpur; Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehradun; and Indian Society of Geometrics.