A 6 days course to understand in detail about genetics
1. Phylogeny & taxonomy; palaeontology; biogeography; adaptation, mimicry and speciation
2. Population biology: r & K; survivorship curves; are humans r or K; cost-benefit ratios
3. Sociobiology: individual vs group vs kin selection, evolution of eusocial animals
4. Population genetics: Hardy-Weinberg law for stable populations; effect of migration; effect of selection (natural and sexual); effect of drift; selfish genetic elements
5. Molecular genetics: introns, exons and transposons; gene regulation, developmental genetics & immunogenetics
6. Human genetics: epigenetics; genomics; genetic disorders and gene therapy; memetic evolution & silicon life
About the Speakers:
Raamesh Gowri Raaghvan has seven years of experience in scientific research, especially with PCR and biochemistry skills, followed by 11 years of experience in digital marketing, adept at conceptualisation, strategizing, copywriting and execution of marketing campaigns, working well solo or in a team. He has helped bring several brands to market in memorable and award-winning ways. He is also a teacher-researcher in the field of archaeology, linguistics and epigraphy with four years of experience.
Dr. Sujata Deshpande has a BSc and MSc in Zoology from the University of Pune, PhD in the field of Animal Behaviour (Sociobiology of Wasps) from the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, JSPS (Japanese Society for Promotion of Science) fellowship from the University of Tsukuba, Japan, in the field of Plant-Animal Interactions. From 2012 to present, she is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Zoology, St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai where she teaches Biostatistics, Ecology, Evolution, Entomology, Developmental Biology and Space Physiology; and also conducts elective courses on Astrobiology and Animal Behaviour.